Become an SOS Illinois Volunteer
Volunteers* play a vital role in the development of our children. By sharing your time and talent, you can help change a child’s life. We offer flexible volunteer schedules and work closely with you to provide assistance and education. Are you ready to make an impact?
To learn more about becoming a volunteer at SOS Children’s Villages Illinois, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Volunteer Inquiry” in the subject line or submit an inquiry form through our website here.
*Our volunteers undergo extensive background checks, screenings, and comprehensive training to ensure the well being of our children.
Children in foster care are typically at a distinct academic disadvantage resulting from frequent disruptions and placement changes. Tutors play a critical role in providing targeted one-on-one tutoring, giving children the instruction, support, and attention they need to improve academically. All Tutors with SOS Illinois must be at least 18 years of age and complete a volunteer application, including background screening, fingerprinting, and TB testing.
As a tutor, you will agree to:
- Volunteer once or twice per week during the academic school year
- Participate in a brief initial meeting to help prepare for their volunteer experience
- Work to understand each child’s learning style, in order to best help with homework
- Build healthy, positive relationships with children
- Engage youth in educational tutoring, and understand their role is not a therapist or counselor
- Use praise and positive correction
- Communicate openly with Foster Parents
Please note that tutors agree to not be left alone with the children and to be supervised by Foster Parents at all times.
Emerging Leaders Board
The SOS Children’s Villages Illinois Emerging Leaders Board is a group of motivated and philanthropic, young professionals that seek to promote the mission of SOS Illinois through networking and volunteering. Activities include garden work days, holiday parties, and providing educational support, in addition to social gatherings.