Our #SuperSiblings are back and they are stronger than ever! During Child Abuse Prevention Month, we invite you join us as we participate in raising awareness about the ways SOS Illinois is working to combat child abuse and unite siblings in foster care.
Raise Awareness: Be a Superhero for Superheroes
Nurtured by Foster Parents and the resources and support staff in the Villages, the boys and girls in our care accomplish great feats of courage and ambition on a daily basis. Just like superheroes, they are not defined by their past but look forward their futures and the many possibilities ahead. However, even superheroes need role models, leaders, and advocates. Our extended community is so vital to supporting and fulfilling our mission, which is why we ask you to join us in awareness raising during April, which is Child Abuse Prevention Month.
You can help us spread the word outside of our Villages and in the larger community. Throughout the next two months, we will be participating in Child Abuse Prevention Month and raising awareness during Foster Care Awareness Month in May with various Village events and activities. In April and May, important dates include:
- April 1 – 30: Child Abuse Prevention Month
- April 1: Beginning of Hands Are for High Fives Campaign
- April 6: National Wear Blue Day – join us by sporting blue and snapping a photo to share on social media
- April 10: National Siblings Day – tell us why you think your siblings are super
- April 28: National Superheroes Day – our superheroes will share their super powers and make gifts for children in need living in the Caribbean.
- May 1 – 31: Foster Care Awareness Month
- May 10: Foster Parent Appreciation Luncheon – an afternoon dedicated to our incredible Foster Parents who provide unconditional love every day of the year at our Villages
- May 12: Birth Mother’s Day
- May 13: Mother’s Day
- May 30: Dining & Conversation – join us for an incredible evening with Luminaries and Celebrity Chefs in support of the children in our care
How can you help? Help share our mission with your friends and family on social media. Join in the conversation to support the superhero children at SOS Children’s Villages Illinois—and all children in foster care—with a simple like, follow, retweet, or share. By doing so you will honor the children’s strength and show your support for the work we do to build opportunities and bright futures for them.
It’s simple: follow and like us on social media, stay tuned on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, share our posts, and ask your friends, family, and colleagues to join you. Get your copy of the campaign kit with key dates, key messaging, and plenty of information to share with your networks.
Let’s raise awareness together about the importance of believing in and #RaisingSuperheroes.
“Each child we serve has the amazing capacity to rise above the toughest of circumstances brought into their life. The smallest accomplishments become momentous occasions and cause for celebration.” – Tim McCormick, CEO of SOS Illinois
The week of April 28, youth in our care gathered with staff, volunteers, and Foster Parents to create special gifts for new friends in the Dominican Republic. As part of our commitment to raising awareness of child abuse prevention and the importance of out-of-home care for youth in need, we partnered with Maestro Cares Foundation to assemble and ship superhero pillows to youth in the DR currently living in an orphanage. With these small treasures, we hoped to remind the children being served by Maestro Cares that they have special strength to overcome adversity and achieve their goals.